Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Chicago

Hey from Chicago. I am staying with the wonderful Matt and Graham in their cute apartment.  I do have a roommate, but she's pretty quiet and really cute.  Her name is Angelina; she's a hamster.  We've (Matt and Graham and I; not Angelina and I) been cooking together, eating out, playing games and showing off our smarts, watching Fleetwood Mac videos, and observing lent (some of us). M&G live in Pilsen, a largely Latino neighborhood.  It's sweet, and also a little bit sour. Perrrrfect.   

I am wrapping myself up in Chicago's gray skies and getting lost, staying in, sleeping in, wandering, cooking beautiful food for my working-class-friends to come home to, and sharing laughter and clever comebacks with the boys.  

Other things to note: I got sick (fainty, hotcold, etc.) in the airplane (partially dehydration, partially a low-level cold intensified by being onboard) and somehow this deli cashier at the airport tuned in to that because when I arrived at O'Hare he gave me a free banana and told me, "Take care of yourself."  

I am remembering to say thank you.  I have a lot to be thankful for.
 

an email regarding my travels:

Hey dear ones,

I am in the chilly and beautiful Chicago with a couple of good friends, transitioning into my trip to Cusco, Peru.  I leave for Cusco on Friday the 6th and wanted to send an email to check in with all of you.  I'm ditching my cell phone on the 6th but I will be reachable through email, facebook, and my blog (http://quetzalista.blogspot.com).  Pictures can be seen on my blog and also on my flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/quetzalista

For all of you that aren't aware of my plans, I am embarking on an independent traveling journey to Cusco.  I will be taking a training course in order to be certified to teach ESL (English as a Second Language) in other countries.  The training itself will take 6 weeks; after that, I will go where the pull comes from (and hopefully appreciate wherever I am, all of the time, and hopefully listen for the pull, and hopefully count my blessings, and, well, you get the point!).  I am also going continue learning and experiencing Spanish (organically- through conversation and immersion; I can't wait to DREAM in Spanish!  I'll let you know when that happens... expect an email) travel around Peru (and other countries), experience new culture, set intentions, say yes, say no, and stay present, open, clear, and aware.  I might eat a guinea pig.  I'm definitely going to connect with Machu Picchu on a physical level.

I am positive that this will be a challenging and beautiful experience, and if you want to stay connected please feel free to email me, check my blog (which will be full of pictures and stories) and remember that we're always connected anyway, whether or not we email.  :)

I am wishing you every peace as you welcome the Spring, and I would love to hear whatever you would love to share.

Love to all,
Jessica


No comments:

Post a Comment